West Whitlawburn Housing Co-operative Ltd
(2012 - Ongoing)
Contact Telephone No. Contact Email Address Registered Address Company Registration No.
07740 946 433 firstname.lastname@example.org 28 Albyn Place SC 551580
West Whitlawburn Housing Co-operative is a charity providing affordable housing in an area of high multiple deprivation. To improve the circumstances of the tenants by alleviating fuel poverty, the Cooperative decide to build a district heat network which started delivering heat and hot water in July 2014.
The scheme provides heat and hot water to 543 social housing flats in a number of high rise and low rise blocks using woodchip biomass and top up gas boilers. The project was funded through the European Regional Development Fund, ECO grant funding through Npower, a loan from the Scottish District Heat Loan Fund and through self-funding from WWHC.
Tina Buchanan started supporting the project in 2012 and her support continues albeit to a lesser degree today. The support provided includes the following:
- Financial Feasibility Study
- Assessment of the VAT implications of managing the project in a variety of ways
- Advice on the best business model to use
- Successful negotiation with HMRC to recover the VAT on the capital installation, setting an industry precedent
- Setting a heat tariff
- Data analysis of heat usage by tenants to determine high and low users and identify potential issues with customers
- Support with RHI accreditation application
- Management accounts to monitor performance
- Heat loss assessments and calculations
- Ongoing budget preparation
- Support with preparation of annual energy usage statement